Monday, October 6, 2014

Old School Custom Frame Build

  After building several bikes based on custom aftermarket frames I decided it was time to step up my game and build my own custom frame. On the frames I've purchased I always end up cutting off mounts, notching or moving tubes around, heating and bending this or that to suit what I'm doing, etc.. I think it ends up being just as much work as starting from scratch and building my own. And I just wanted to have more control over the look, feel, and dimensional accuracy of my frame. So, I did a lot of research, bought a tubing bender and 40' of 1.25" x .120" wall ERW tubing. Now it's time to build a frame.
  I prefer using old school methods and simple tools. I want to build this frame like the guys did back in the '60s, who started the whole chopper movement. I found this amazing website for reference that is full of all of this motorcycle wisdom from the ages www.chopperhandbook.com to help me achieve this. I don't have a fancy frame jig or access to a machine shop with all the CNC equipment, just my home garage, a welder, and an assortment of hand tools. I want this frame to look handmade and vintage, but be sturdy and well built. It has to look right, feel right, and ride right. No billet. No compromises.
  I thought I would document the process, it should be an interesting journey...

Click here for full story: Frame Build



No comments:

Post a Comment